Monday, September 16, 2013

Trip to Spain, Day 7, Monday




Yesterday (Sunday) in Santiago was great. After breakfast in the Parador--the oldest hotel in the world, started in 1499 by the King of Spain, we were off for tour of the cathedral and its precints. We had a very good guide, and the timing was perfect, so we ended up in the cathedral for the 10 Mass. Before that, we visited the tomb of St Jame's in the crypt, which was very moving for me, since I had my old parish of St Jame's, LA very much on my mind. Then we went up behind the altar to "embrace" the statue of the saint. The Priest at mass (done in several languages) was very enthusiastic, even though I could not understand most of what he said. The moment everyone was waiting for was the lighting of the huge incense boat, which takes several men to swing from one of the cathedral to the other. I have a short video of this which I will try to post on facebook.

We were on our own for the rest of the day. We did some shopping--I bought a small silver shell to add wear around my neck, and Laura good a nice silver and "jet" ring. Jet is a black semi-precious material worked around this area of Spain. We also had a great "tapas" dinner of many items including octopus--another regional speciality.

It was a super day, excellent, weather, and I was only a little bit stuffy from the cold I picked up.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Orvieto, Spain

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing your experience on the camino.
You wondered in one post about the experience of those who walked compared to those who rode. I have been reading blog posts by a group of Australians walking a different pilgrimage route in Spain; perhaps you would enjoy it: http://ignatiancamino.com/

Have you seen the movie The Way, with Martin Sheen and Emilio Estevez? You'll like seeing the huge thurible again, I expect: http://www.amazon.com/The-Way-Emilio-Estevez/dp/B0062VL4QA/ref=pd_sim_b_2
One can "rent" this as a virtual movie too.

-Deborah S.