Monday, October 15, 2007

Some feedback from the Digital Generation


Last week I visited with the students of our Canterbury Group at the campus of Northern Arizona University in Flagstaff (www.naucanterbury.org). Over dinner, I asked them however many of them had their own blogs (about half). How many of them read other peoples' blogs (about half). I thought that number low and asked how come. "You need to remember, Bishop Smith," said one, "Your generation things all this web stuff is exciting. We just take it for granted as part of life."

There is some truth there to be sure. But if the next generation takes it for granted, that it even more reason for us old foggies who are now running the church to make sure that we are technically savvy, not because it is the cool thing to do, but because it is expected.

The church no longer has a monopoly on information about religion and spirituality. The spiritually hungry person can find anything they want on the internet. Hopefully what they can also find an effective presentation of the faith as we understand and value it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good to know how your dinner with the NAU group went and I am very impressed with your wife's iconography!

I am still working on people being able to find my blog before I write more.