Sunday, December 30, 2007

A Dog-loving Bishop


The spark of reading the excellent new book by Larry Witham, A City Upon A Hill, How Sermons Changed the Course of American History, has rekindled my interest in the history of the Episcopal Church in this Country, as evidenced by my obsession with Arizona Missionary Pioneer Endicott Peabody (see the entry below).

It is amazing how much interesting material is available on the Internet, thanks to such sites as Project Canterbury. This weekend, I stumbled across a great picture of the Rt. Rev. William Doane, who was the first bishop of Albany. He also was for a time the rector of St. John's Church in W.Hartford, where I was curate back in the 1980's. I found on-line a contemporary biography which included a poem he had written about his St Bernard dog, Cluny. It's not bad theology, and is a great picture, both of which I share with you here. Could Bishop Doane ever have imagined that his work and likeness would be found in an electronic archive and flashed around the world 150 years later?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your blogs. Just started reading them (March 2009) and found this. For the sake of other latecomers I am posting the url (internet address) of the biography for Bishop Doane:

http://anglicanhistory.org/usa/wcdoane/glrichardson.html

The poem about the dog Cluny is in Chapter VI near the end of the file.

A favorite prayer of mine is "Lord, help me to be the person my dog thinks I am."

yanmaneee said...

adidas stan smith shoes
christian louboutin sale
christian louboutin shoes
michael kors outlet
nike air max 97
yeezy boost 350 v2
hermes handbags
nfl jerseys
james harden shoes
yeezy 700

thethe said...

visit their website Dolabuy Chloe pop over to these guys replica ysl discover here dolabuy.co

teneyez said...

v7o76r2j85 d3d44y0w77 y3g24a7e79 m3p17t5h18 z2f46w7n12 q5b97e8r87

Anonymous said...

افضل ممسحات 2023 لمسح الاسطح و الارضيات
افضل منظفات مراحيض 2023